Monday, January 23, 2012

Logos, Pathos, Ethos

Ethos:  I establish my authority by the fact that I lived in St Louis and have more knowledge about it than those who didn't.  I cite specific examples and give detailed descriptions of what is available in the city.  The voice I use could be described as brochure-like and that alone could convince people that I have credibility.

Pathos:  The emotion I appeal to is mostly comfort, having fun, and a family friendly atmosphere.  I use words like care, preserve, love, luxury, home and others to provide a relaxing feel to the paper.  My personal connections to the city help me describe it better and that enables me to convince people to visit St Louis.  I think my passion for the city is evident and when reading this piece one appreciates that and wants to hear more.

Logos:  The logic I appeal to is that people like to have a good time and so they should come to St Louis.  I give good evidence that the city is fun and exciting and I allow readers to have a visual of what I'm talking about with how I describe what's there.  I use the claims, reasons and assumptions technique to tell people that if they want to enjoy themselves they can come to St Louis and participate in the many attractions they offer.  I think my use of writing to people who want o have fun makes the city inviting to them and they would want to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment